Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bell Pepper

It might surprise you to know that a green bell pepper is packed with more Vitamin C than an orange, and as it matures into a red pepper the Vitamin C increases by15%. Bell peppers are also loaded with antioxidants, and who doesn't want those powerful cancer-fighting agents swimming in his body!

North Carolina is one of the top five bell pepper producing states, and the farmer's market has a large supply now that it's prime pepper-picking season. Yesterday as I watched people shop I noticed that the red peppers are most popular, followed by the yellow, then the green. So, I did a little research (i.e. asking the customers) to determine why this was so (because personally I prefer the green). No one said anything about the health benefits of the peppers. No! Instead, it was all about taste. The red peppers won out for being the sweetest. So, I decided to give the red peppers a try. I'm planning a stir fry, and I'll blog to let you know if the red peppers win 1st place in my heart.

Ever wonder about why the peppers are different colors? All the peppers start out green. If left on the vine to mature, they will begin to turn yellow, then orange, and eventually red. Even after picking they will continue to ripen, but not as much as if left on the vine. Which is your favorite, and why? Any great pepper-stuffing recipes you'd like to share? Leave comments. I'm taking a poll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again