Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mama's Fried Chicken

One of my best friends swears no one can fry chicken as good as my mom and me and has asked me to post our secrets for frying chicken. Here's what my mama taught me.

1. Always use fresh, never-been-frozen, chicken for frying.
2. Cut the fryer into two legs, two thighs, two breasts, two wings, and the back. Do not remove the skin, and fry all the pieces together. The juices from the skin and dark meat add to the flavor of the white meat.
3. Salt and pepper chicken; batter with self-rising flour.
4. Use an electric skillet. Pour cooking oil up to 3/4" depth. I prefer canola oil; mama uses vegetable.
5. Keep lid on skillet while frying. Start at a higher temperature (400) for about 7-10 minutes; then, lower the temperature to 350. It takes at least 30-40 minutes for chicken to cook completely.

Eat and enjoy southern fried chicken the way it's supposed to taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again