Saturday, June 22, 2013

Why I am Canning Peaches

Boy, do I get some funny looks when I tell people that I am canning peaches. Why on earth would you want to do that when Del Monte does it for you and sells them for $2.09 a can?! I mean, that's affordable, right? Further....How in the world do you have time?

Well, in my defense, I'd like to share why I am canning peaches.

These bad boys are tree-ripened and ready!

As I've said before, and I'll say it again. If there were no other reason in the world, this one is enough. It is why I do what I do. It is simple. For the Taste. Nothing, and I repeat Nothing tastes better than freshly harvested fruit and veggies from the vine. If you don't believe me just do a taste test. Yep. Go ahead. I dare you. Get some peaches that have been shipped from who knows where, and harvested days (maybe weeks before they were ready). Then, go to one of those pick-it-yourself farms and grab a peach, ripened and ready, straight from the tree. Taste the two. Which one is better? Oh, taste and you will see!

Anyway, the second reason I do what I do is because I am a bit Thrifty at heart. This canning cost me $8.00 in peaches! And with a yield of 15 pints, that's .53 cents a can! Let's see...Del Monte-$2.09? Or, home-canned, NC goodness-.53 cents? Which would you choose?

And what about the time? Well, many years ago a very wise person told me that we make Time to do the things that we value and consider important. Man, did that comment slap me in the face when he said it, because at that time in my life I soooo didn't want to hear it! But it has been some good advice. It comes back to me time and time again. What do you value? I bet you your bottom dollar you are making time for it! :)

Last, but not least, there is one more thing that motivates me as well. It's from Proverbs 31:27, which says, She looks well to the ways of her household, and eats not the bread of idleness. Beautiful!

Now that I've preached my sermon (3 points and a prayer) I need to get busy in the kitchen. The canner is a'calling! I will post pictures and share the recipe when I'm all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again