Thursday, November 11, 2010

An Even Better Butternut

I'm still living up to my challenge of testing new and different ways to cook fresh vegetables so I can break out of my "same old, same old". This week I cooked butternut squash, and how I wish I could step out of this monitor and offer you a sample to taste. The squash was absolutely delicious! Here's what I did.

First, I washed the squash really good, and halved it down the middle. I scooped out the seeds and pulp, and began to slice and dice. At first, I started peeling the squash, but that was taking too much time. After all, I am a working mom, and I didn't want to spend all night in the kitchen. So, I left the skin on some of the pieces. Decided I would test and see how they turned out.

Then, I got out my roasting pan; the more shallow the pan, the better. I placed the squash in a single layer on the pan, and poured a couple tablespoons olive oil over the squash. Then, I tossed the squash around a bit to cover them with oil, added a few tablespoons water, added a few shakes of cinnamon, and added a few shakes of nutmeg.

I roasted the squash at 375 for a good 45-50 minutes. As I said before, they were absolutely delicious, even the pieces with the skins. From now on, no need to peel. Leave the skins on. They soften as they cook, and did I mention they were absolutely delicious. Tomorrow, what to do with the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again