Monday, January 7, 2013

Why Fresh?

I believe in eating fresh, locally-grown seasonal produce. My philosophy is fresh is best; frozen (or home-canned) is next; and grocery store cans as a last resort. Why? Well, as promised, I am going to share Reason 1 of 3.

But first, let me preface by saying that if there were no other reasons in the world, this is reason enough for me choose fresh.

It's all about TASTE. Fresh just tastes better. It's as simple as that. Eating blueberries straight from the bush is like eating candy from God. Reminds me of the Proverb, Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! He provides candy every season - blueberries, peaches, strawberries, grapes (nothing quite like Southern muscadines), watermelon (one of my favorites), raspberries, and SO MUCH MORE!

If you don't believe me when I say fresh tastes better, then I challenge you to a taste test. I have done this many times, but one that stands out in my mind is one I did with my oldest daughter when she was about 8 or 9 years old. We bought fresh peaches one hot summer day from the Farmers Market. While at the grocery store later that day, we bought a couple of peaches that had been picked before their prime and shipped across the country with the intentions of doing a taste test. Well, needless to say, the Farmers Market peaches won, hands down! They were softer, juicier and, well, let's just say she was giggling as she ate them! :)

It may be a little bit of extra effort to grow your own, or to spend an hour or two each week shopping at the Market, but in the end it is worth it. That is, if taste is important to you.

Tomorrow, I'll share Reason 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again