Sunday, February 13, 2011

How NOT to Make Kale Chips

Several weeks ago I blogged about kale chips. I had found a few recipes online and was gonna give it a try. People have been asking why I haven't followed up. Honestly, I didn't want to let the world know that my kale chips were a fail. But my story is quite funny, and I have been encouraged to share my story. So, here it is - How NOT to Make Kale Chips.

There were several recipes I used as a guide. The first part was simple enough. Wash and thoroughly dry the kale. Tear into bite size pieces. Spray with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and spread kale on cookie sheet. That part turned out okay. But going forward I was confused. Does the kale cook in a low-heat oven for 30-45 minutes? Or, does it cook at medium heat for 15-20 minutes? Or, does it cook in a really hot oven for 5 minutes? I chose the recipe that said cook at medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Seemed like a happy compromise. As they started to cook my family was not prepared for the "collard-like" smell that came forth from my kitchen.

My kids were like, "What is THAT smell?"

"Kale chips!" I proudly proclaimed, "and we're gonna have them with sloppy joes for dinner tonight."

"I don't think so," they said.

"You need a Plan B," my husband insisted.

"No, no. They'll be fine. Sure they smell like "collards", but they will be really good!"

Finally, the 20 minutes in the oven were up. Time to check on the kale chips. "Anyone want to taste?" I asked. Perhaps I would've had more positive response, if they hadn't been CHARRED, BLACK, and BURNT to a crisp. Not desirable at all. I was kindly advised by my family to NOT try it again.

My mother, however, was a little more encouraging. "You only cook them like 5-6 minutes in a very hot oven." Maybe I'll try again...or better yet, I'll leave the kale chips to Mom.

Have you had any recipe fails? Would love to hear. Leave a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again