Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Baby Reds are Back

As a child digging potatoes was one of my favorite chores. What child doesn't like to play in the dirt. I remember my grandfather would plant a family garden for his 4 children and their families. There were about 20-24 looooooong rows of potatoes, and at harvest time all of us would gather to dig in the dirt. My dad would uproot the plants as we all raced to see who could fill their baskets first. With all of us working together it didn't take long to finish the harvest. Then, my grandfather would load the potatoes on the truck and divide the bounty with each family. Each family's share was anywhere from 16-20 bushel baskets, enough to last all summer and fall and into the early winter...just in time to plant for the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again