Saturday, May 31, 2014

Storing Summer's Goodness

Today has been a busy day. I started by cleaning my refrigerator to make room for summer's goodness. You know, it's just getting started-blueberries, squash, onions, melons, and so much more.

I still had about a dozen apples from last fall. They weren't too pretty to look at; and at first glance I thought, these apples are spent; they probably aren't any good. But as I started to peel them, and taste them, I was much surprised at their crispy freshness. So, those bad boys became this.
Cinnamon Applesauce-made with granny smith, red delicious
and pink lady apples from Sugarloaf Orchards.
Then, I discovered the sugar snaps, grown by my brother at Wise Farms. Time to transfer from the fridge to the freezer. So easy to do. I didn't even wash them first. In order to keep them from sticking together as they froze, I spread them out in a pan and put them in the freezer for an hour or so. Twenty minutes would've been plenty of time as well. Then, when they were good and frozen I popped them into freezer bags. When I want them for a stir fry, or with pasta, or in a salad, I'll just grab a handful, wash and prepare. This is how I enjoy summer goodness all year long!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicholas Has Struck Again